FamousDC Nightlife Correspondent @BlairDC brings us the best fireworks viewing options for everyone sticking around the city this weekend.
Washington DC is a spectacular place to celebrate July 4th. The National Mall, along with DC’s monuments and the U.S. Capitol, provides an exquisite and patriotic backdrop to America’s Independence celebrations.
But the question remains: what is the best place to watch the fireworks? Oh, AND enjoy a fun party!
For a traditional 4th full of history and fireworks, the ideal itinerary is:
Start at the National Archives (700 Pennsylvania Ave NW) with the 10am reading of the Declaration of Independence followed by the annual National Independence Parade (Constitution Avenue between 7th and 17th Sts NW). Afterwards, take a stroll through the Smithsonian Folklife Festival (National Mall, 14th St and Jefferson Drive SW). Grab some munchies and head over to “A Capitol Fourth” (at the US Capitol) which opens to the public at 3pm. Or, throw down a blanket anywhere along the mall stretching from the Capitol to the Lincoln, or by the Jefferson and the FDR, and enjoy the fireworks spectacular that starts at 9:10pm.
*If you prefer Arlington, the Iwo Jima and Gravelly Point offer wonderful views of the fireworks show.
However, if a party is what you had in mind, here are 5 options that won’t disappoint. Of course, most bars in DC, especially those with rooftops, will be open so be sure to check out my rooftop post for ideas:
1. Georgetown Waterfront – several restaurants/bars line the waterfront which has a great view of the fireworks
2. Boat cruise on the Potomac – take a cruise along the Potomac (or on your own boat!) with one of the various DC cruise companies
3. W Hotel – a special celebration will be held in the POV of this lovely hotel which sits just a few blocks from the National Mall
4. The Bullpen – day-long party with open bar (for a fee) will be held at the Bullpen directly across from the Nationals Stadium
5. Uncle Sam Jam DC – Virginia Coalition and Soul Asylum perform at Zanzibar, located on the SW Waterfront of the Potomac
Happy 4th of July!
FamousDC thanks Nightlife Correspondent @BlairDC for her top 5 list.