If you’re like most Washingtonians, you may have hit the hors d’oeuvres (and booze) a bit harder than you hit the exercise during the Winter. Now it’s time to revisit the health-related New Years resolution. Because life comes out you fast, and “waiting until tomorrow” to get jump-started seems easier, we’ve got you covered.
DC has a robust group fitness network that continues to expand just in time for the Summer months. Here is a list of tried and true group fitness classes that will improve your overall health and wellness. This list only scratches the surface, so if you’ve got a go-to group with a unique format, tell us about it at [email protected]
- SoulCycle– With four locations in the DMV (Bethesda, Mt. Vernon Square, Georgetown, and West End) and a cult-like following, SoulCycle has a variety of classes that make you sweat and will have you leaving class inspired. The pulsing music and passionate instructors make this an FDC fan favorite.
- Bash Boxing– This new group fitness boxing class mixed with HIIT, heavy beats, and a staff that “is in your corner” makes this an excellent choice for people of all different physical fitness level. Bash opened its first location earlier this year in the Rosslyn area and is already getting ready to launch a second location in Ballston. If you want to learn how to fight like Bash partner and Caps player Tom Wilson, this is your spot.
- Barry’s Bootcamp– This could be the toughest class of all and one that has frequent challenges that will test and push participants to their limits. Barry’s also has its own culture with regulars sporting their merch to a protein bar stocked with milkshakes that are a definite reward for making it through the class. Barry’s currently has one location in the DMV near DuPont Circle metro station.
- Pulse House of Fitness– Another new arrival to DC, Pulse Fitness offers an eclectic mix of classes including their signature 30-minute climbing class. Pulse is high energy, but scalable to anyone. Pulse also offers corporate wellness programs (if you want your employer to help cover class) that are customizable to any company. Pulse currently has one location at 1401 New York Avenue NW.
- 202strong– 202strong is a full body strength and circuit training experience in a welcoming environment with a community atmosphere and friendly coaches that help you achieve your goals without aggressiveness of other similar programs. 202strong has two locations with one at Farragut North if you want to lift weights at lunch and another in North Bethesda. 202strong also offers self-defense classes and a “GirlStrong” program.